In 2017 ASHM supported the Papua New Guinea National Department of Health (NDOH) to update their HIV Prescriber Course which aims to provide foundations for improved clinical outcomes in HIV in PNG.
The HIV prescriber training is used by both NDoH and ASHM :
- Promotes high-quality resources for training participants, which align with current policies and curricula approved by the NDOH
- Promotes provincial and health facility alignment with national clinical guidelines for HIV and STI’s.
ASHM has been running the prescriber course for NDOH since 2018 and pivoted to an online platform in 2020. As of 2022, ASHM was able return to an in-person training format.
- Upskilling and building the capacity of healthcare workers to prescribe ART safely and confidently
- Improved knowledge of HIV & STIs amongst healthcare workers in PNG
- Promoting continuing medical education amongst healthcare workers
Through its other projects in PNG which focus on health worker education and development ASHM has been able to embed and promoting mentoring structures amongst healthcare workers and new HIV prescribers to experienced clinical mentors.
Acknowledgement of partners and donors: PNG National Department of Health (NDOH) and World Health Organisation (WHO)