INTRODUCTION FROM THE CEO
ASHM is a purpose-driven organisation that believes in the importance of our work. How we conduct ourselves is as significant as the work we do. This Code of Conduct serves as a compass, outlining the behaviour expected of each individual, both within our organisation and in our interactions with others. It is a mutual agreement between you and ASHM, binding us together. Our code breathes life into our values, reminding us why they matter and providing practical guidance on how to embody them. It’s not a document confined to our internal use. We leverage our values and Code of Conduct to ensure the best possible outcomes for all the individuals and organisations we collaborate with. We never compromise on these values; they serve as our guiding light in creating a workplace where everyone feels respected and secure.
Our Code of Conduct is not limited to a specific setting or time. It applies to every aspect of our work, whether we are in the office, working from home, on the move, engaging on social media, or representing ASHM. To fully comprehend our expectations, this Code of Conduct should be read
alongside our broader set of policies and governance documents. Although some policies are referenced here, it’s essential to access and understand all the organisational policies that shape our work. These policies provide the necessary guidance for our daily tasks and offer clarity on various
areas of our operations.
When you join ASHM, you are committing yourself to upholding these policies. As an organisation, ASHM aspires to cultivate a culture that enables each individual to thrive, and you play a vital role in creating that environment. We are dedicated to fostering a workplace where we can openly and respectfully challenge ideas and engage in thoughtful discussions on complex issues. By doing so, we strive to continuously improve and make a positive impact in the world.
The commitments outlined in this code are not just mere words; they are our organisational values translated into tangible behaviours and actions. Every individual is held accountable to these commitments, fostering a robust culture that each of us can take pride in and take responsibility for.
Our Code of Conduct applies to every corner of our organisation, encompassing everyone who works for ASHM, including our Board members, employees, volunteers, student participants, contractors, and sub-contractors (“participants”)
The purpose of this Code is to establish the fundamental principles and guidelines that all individuals associated with ASHM are expected to adhere to. By following these principles, we aim to create an environment that promotes collaboration, inclusivity, trust, respect, and a positive dynamic. We believe that a workplace characterized by these values leads to better outcomes for everyone involved.
• Collaborative: We believe in and harness the power of collaboration to drive innovation and positive change. We work closely with our partners and colleagues to foster a culture of cooperation, teamwork, and mutual support. By collaborating with others, we can leverage our collective strengths and achieve more together than we could alone.
• Inclusive: we create an inclusive environment that values diversity, equity, and belonging. We strive to create a workplace where everyone feels welcome, respected, and valued, regardless of their background, identity, or experience. By promoting inclusivity, we can unlock the full potential of a person-centred health workforce that fights stigma and discrimination.
• Trustworthy: we operate with integrity, honesty, and transparency in all our interactions. We work hard to build trust and earn the confidence of our partners and colleagues by consistently delivering on our commitments and communicating openly and honestly. By being trustworthy, we can build strong and lasting relationships that are the foundation of our success.
• Respectful: we treat all individuals with dignity, respect, and empathy. We are committed to creating a culture of civility and mutual respect, where everyone’s contributions are valued and appreciated. Our commitment to being respectful builds trust and collaboration, creating a stigma-free health workforce that works together towards the common goal of improving the health of our communities.
• Dynamic: we are adaptable, innovative, and agile – embracing change, new technologies, and innovative approaches to teaching, learning, and healthcare that can respond to the ever-changing needs of patients and communities. By staying ahead of the curve, we can offer cutting-edge support to our communities, and continuously improve the quality of our services.
In addition to our core values, ASHM is committed to reconciliation as evidenced through our Reconciliation Action Plan and to environmental sustainability. Included within this Code is a personal commitment from each of us to support these organisational commitments through our own workplace actions and decisions.
ASHM Board – Approved September 2023