National HCV POCT Training Program – ASHM HCV Point of Care Testing Theoretical Training
Following the advent of well-tolerated, simple, short-course direct acting antiviral (DAA) interferon-free hepatitis C (HCV) treatments with cure rates >95%, there is potential to reverse the rising burden of advanced liver disease and achieve the goal of global HCV elimination. Simplifying HCV testing, diagnosis and linkage to care is crucial to meeting elimination targets. Point-of-care tests provide an opportunity for testing people who may not otherwise seek testing from medical settings and will greatly enhance linkage to care in community settings. This online learning module consists of 3 individual modules and a short assessment that introduce the topics of hepatitis C point-of-care testing, options for sample collection, the pathway to diagnosis and sharing results.
PROGRAM LEARNING OBJECTIVES
- Explain the epidemiology, risk factors, and natural history of HCV infection
- Describe why point-of-care and dried-blood spot testing for hepatitis C are needed to enhance linkage to care and treatment uptake
- Identify the markers of HCV infection and the different types of HCV tests
- Explain how samples for HCV testing can be collected and where HCV sample testing may occur
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of different diagnostic tools (point-of-care and dried blood spot) and their availability in Australia
Target audience: This program is designed for community practitioners including general practitioners, nurses and other allied health workers.
This activity has been approved by the RACGP QI&CPDprogram. Allocated 2 pts/hour, total CPD points 3 (Category 2) points.
Last Updated: 7 October 2020
For any issues, contact:
+61 2 8204 0770
Conferences and Events
Discover our events calendar, featuring impactful health conferences and educational gatherings. Join health professionals, researchers, and community organisations in HIV, BBV, sexual health and other health fields. Explore our calendar to find engaging opportunities tailored to your interests and professional development.