NSW Hepatitis B for Nurses and Midwives
The course will provide Nursing and Midwifery Professionals with advanced practical skills and knowledge in hepatitis B nursing. The course includes presentations and case discussions that introduce the epidemiology and natural history of hepatitis B, vaccination, testing, fibrosis assessment, advanced liver disease, stigma and discrimination and the cultural context of hepatitis B nursing and midwifery.
This course will be presented as a mix of self-paced and live facilitated learning, providing attendees an opportunity to discuss and practice strategies with peers and specialists. This is comprised of:
- Online Learning Modules
- Video Modules
- Two 4-hour interactive webinars via Zoom, accessed through the ASHM online learning platform
Date and time:
Part 1: Tuesday, 27 February 2024, 9:00am-1:00pm (AEDT)
Part 2: Thursday, 29 February 2024, 9:00am-1:00pm (AEDT)
Through online learning and virtual teaching, participants will learn to:
- Outline the epidemiology of hepatitis B and the risk factors for hepatitis B transmission.
- Identify opportunities for screening and testing, vaccination and linkage to care
- Outline nurses’ and midwives’ role in providing culturally appropriate care, free from stigma and discrimination
- Outline the nurses’ and midwives’ role in identifying, diagnosing, assessing, monitoring and treating patients with chronic hepatitis B and advanced liver disease.
- Utilise innovative strategies and models of care that deliver care for patients with hepatitis B
Suresh Sharma: Nurse Practitioner, Department of Gastroenterology, John Hunter Hospital
Kris McKee: Clinical Nurse Consultant, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital
Sinead Sheils: Hepatology Nurse Practitioner, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital
General Practitioners, Nurse Practitioners, other community-based medical practitioners based in NSW & ACT.
Attendance at both live facilitated sessions is equivalent to 8.0 CPD hours.
Additionally, the suggested self-paced learning components are equivalent to an additional 2.0 CPD hours.
This course is endorsed by ACN according to our Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Endorsed Course Standards. It has been allocated 10 CPD hours according to the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia – Continuing Professional Development Standard.
This activity is funded by NSW Health. Registration scholarships have
been provided by ACT Health.
This course is free to attend for professionals aligned with the target
audience who practice in NSW and ACT.
For more information:
Please contact Curtis Micallef at email@example.com or 0411 536 478.
Conferences and Events
Discover our events calendar, featuring impactful health conferences and educational gatherings. Join health professionals, researchers, and community organisations in HIV, BBV, sexual health and other health fields. Explore our calendar to find engaging opportunities tailored to your interests and professional development.